Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Book Review: I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced

I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced by Nujood Ali.

Rating: Five Stars

Nujood is a simple village girl, who loves school and playing with children her own age. But her life is suddenly turned upside down when she is forced to marry a older man. This is Nujood's story.

At 10 she was forced by her father to marry a man that was 30 and he promised not to touch her until she reached puberty.
Nujood is quickly married and then goes to live with her husband and his family. She meets her mother-in-law, who turns out not to be a very kind woman, and her life begins as a wife. But Nujood's husband doesn't keep his promise. On her first night living there, he comes into her bedroom and rapes her. This continues each night and then he starts to beat her for refusing him.
Two months later, Nujood is staying with her parents after begging her husband to let her. And it's there she gets up the courage to go to court.
After waiting for a half a day to meet a judge, when a judge finally shows up he asks her what she wants.
"I want a divorce," Nujood said.

I read this book because someone on a blog recommended it and I am glad that I did read this. Nujood's story is truly inspiring. She was a brave girl, fighting for a divorce and her freedom from a abusive man.
I think one day Nujood will make a great lawyer and help a lot of women/young girls that might be in the same situation she was in. I know it took a lot for her to go court and for her to share her story, but in doing so, other young girls have begun speaking up and divorcing their husbands they were forced to marry. What she went through was horrible, but the courage she had to speak up, it seems has inspired others to speak up, too, and do something about their situation. I'm glad she shared her story and I hope it continues to inspire people to speak up when they are in a situation like hers.

The book was well-written and inspiring. It's definitely one I'd recommend to people.

2 comments:

  1. This is my first time hearing of this book. It sounds like a powerful read. The story sounds sad- but hopefully inspiring, too. Thanks for sharing.

    I am new here. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jess and welcome. Thanks for the comment. Sorry for taking so long to reply. I haven't been on blogger in quite awhile as I've been busy.

      It is really a good book. It's sad, but I thought it was very inspiring.

      Delete