Saturday, November 19, 2011

Disappointing Reads

Lately there have been three books that have been disappointing reads for me. All three books were ones I have been looking forward to reading and when I finally got my hands on them, excited to read them, they were all rather disappointing.

The first book was Dreamland Lake by Richard Peck. It sounded like a wonderful mystery book. I found it over the summer through my library's website and I finally borrowed it a few weeks ago. I couldn't wait to read it. It sounded so good, so much like my type of book. But when I got it and finally it, it was just kind of boring. I couldn't get into the story or relate to the characters and it wasn't a great mystery like I'd thought it would be.

The next book was Among The Ghosts by Amber Benson. I love ghost books and this one caught my eye. It wasn't a bad book. It was definitely interesting at parts, good at parts, and not so good at other parts, if that makes sense. It just wasn't as good as I thought it would be.

And the last one, the one I finished earlier this morning was House Made of Dawn N. Scott Momday. The author is a American Indian and I've been making it a point to read books about American Indians and books written by Native authors. I'm Cherokee myself and I've been trying to learn what I can from books and trying to find some new authors to read that are Native. Anyway, this is a book I've been wanting to read for awhile, another that I have been very excited to read. I've heard and read many good things about this book.
I do not think this is a bad book. In fact, I think N. Scott Momaday is a wonderful writer. The way he describes things is quite beautiful, but I had a problem getting into the story. I'm not sure what it was. It seems to be written in the same way that Love Medicine was (Another book by a Native author). And while the writing in both books is beautiful and very well-written, it is sort of off putting. Sometimes it is even confusing and that is what made it hard for me to get into either of those books. But perhaps, at a later time, I will try to re-read House Made of Dawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment