Friday, May 28, 2010

Judgmental Writers

Through out my whole life I've experienced bits and pieces of judgement for my writing, or at one time, lack of better spelling ability. I was not always the best speller and I've always been truthful about that. I'm not ashamed and I didn't have a learning disorder, I just had to learn in a different way.

Anyhow, like I said I've had my own experiences with judgmental people. Back around when I was 15 I had shown a part of a short story of mine to someone who claimed to be John Jakes. Didn't know who he was at the time, but found out he was the author of the North and The South books. I don't know if it was really John Jakes who read my short story. But, John Jakes, or whoever it was, wasn't very nice. He called my story and writing terrible. He said I should give it up and I would never make it as an author. Needless to say, that hurt. It would hurt anyone, wouldn't it?

When I was 16, close to 17 I had given up on writing stories, or a book. The books I was writing at the time I felt weren't good enough. Back in late 2008 is when I got into writing again and it happened because of blogging on Xanga. Blogging on Xanga made me find my love for writing again. It was last year once again that I decided to write a book. This time the book writing is different. I haven't given up and I won't. I like my story and my characters. My writing and spelling has improved greatly. But it's not because of what 'John Jakes' said. It's because writing is what I want to do, it's what I'm good at and I know that I can be a successful published author.

But, now that I've really gotten back into writing I've noticed there are different groups of writers. There are nice, supportive writers who want other writers like them to succeed. And then there are the judgmental and there are quite a few more judgmental writers out there then I realized.

I think it's fine to help someone, give them advice or tell them if they aren't doing something exactly right. Some people want that actually, and while I understand not everyone is going to like your writing, I don't think any writer wants to be harshly judged. These judgmental writers try to act like they are better then you and attack people who are non writers for the fact that their spelling and such might not be so good.

On my Xanga blog there is a girl, she is a writer and I've been nothing, but nice to her. However, I have noticed that whenever she replies to one of my blogs she tries to act as if she is better then I am - as if I am stupid and have no idea what I'm talking about. She's done it to some other people that comment on my blogs as well. I've never said anything to her because I'm not into starting drama. But I don't like her "I'm better then you" attitude. Maybe my grammar isn't amazing, maybe I don't always know where all the punctuation marks go. Not all writers do, but I think what matters is we try our best. Isn't that what editors are for? To fix our mistakes, or help us.

I just think that if you are a writer and come across a fellow writer, just try to be nice and encouraging. I didn't improve because people were judging me harshly and all that does is make someone feel bad. I improved because I read and write a lot. And I mean a lot. Whenever I see a fellow writer I encourage them and give them advice. I tell them if they wish to get better at writing then just write and read a lot. It honestly works.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't believe in being harsh. You can help a fellow writer improve by just telling them nicely how to do so. There isn't no need to be harsh, or insulting.

Well, I guess there isn't much I can do to change other people. I just know that I'm not going to be harsh on anyone whose dream is to be an author. I'll give advice and try to help, but I could never be insulting or harsh. I know too much of how that feels.

No comments:

Post a Comment